Pueden leer este post en español aca
Even though I spent some time in Vietnam enjoying it’s amazing cuisine I learned this recipe from a Canadian friend who cooked it for us and I must say it has nothing to envy those cheap and authentic noodles soups I had in the streets of Hanoi.
– 1 onion, sliced in small squares.
– 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
– 1 piece of aprox. 5cm of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped.
– 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
– 2 liters of chicken broth.
– 2 tablespoons of fish sauce.
– 2 star anise.
– 1 small cinnamon stick.
– Chopped chilies. The amount depends on how spicy you want it.
– 350 grams of beef cut in small slices.
– 1 cup of bean sprouts
– 1/2 cup of sliced enoki mushrooms (or any kind of mushroom).
– 1 package of rice noodles.
Step by Step
In a big soup pot, stir fry the onion until it gets brown. Add the ginger and the garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add the broth and the spices and let it boil for 5 minutes.
In a pan cook the meat and the mushrooms for a couple of minutes until the beef is lightly cooked.
Prepare the noodles as package instructions.
Add the meat, the mushrooms and the noodles into the soup pot. Mix everything and serve immediately in individual bowls. You can put some thai basil or cilantro leaves on top with some lime wedges.
Can’t get easier than this!